Prevention. Education. Intervention
The Victim Center was established in 1976 as a grass-roots organization called the Rape Crisis Center. Over the years, the organization has grown to provide multiple services to any victim of a violent or sexual crime. We now offer hope and healing to men, women, and children victims within southwest Missouri.
The Victim Center is not funded through tax dollars, but it is funded in part by The United Way of the Ozarks, the Missouri Department of Public Safety and the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services through competitive grant awards.
The Victim Center is not a government agency. It receives funding from private foundations, individuals, donors, and special events. Please call the office if you would like a copy of an annual report.
The mission of The Victim Center is to provide free-of-charge counseling, crisis intervention, and advocacy to men, women, and children within Southwest Missouri who have been victims of violent or sexual crimes. The agency also provides prevention education programs to schools and business/community groups.
Our goal is for each person who receives services from The Victim Center to feel safe, empowered, and restored. We are dedicated to serving victims of violent or sexual crimes in southwest Missouri. We frequently receive letters and phone calls relaying the message that our goal was met. Below are a few testimonials -
24-hour Crisis Line: 417.864.7233
When crime happens, it impacts every aspect of a crime victim's life: work, school, home, and leisure. Our programs are designed to help each individual or family put the pieces of life back together.
24 Hour Crisis Hotline and Intervention
- Advocates on-call 24-hours a day.
- Availability to talk on the phone.
- Availability to meet at the hospital or police department.
- Call anytime 417.864.7233 (SAFE)
Community Crisis Response Team
- Violence can happen in the workplace, school, or in public.
- Violence causes negative effects on employees, students, or other witnesses.
- Our response team provides crisis intervention to a group of individuals.
Victim Advocacy Services
- Safety Planning
- Emergency Ex Parte order of protection
- Assistance obtaining community resources and referrals.
- Court, hospital, and law-enforcement accompaniment.
- Education for kids and parents on the courtroom process.
- Introduction to relaxation techniques.
- Learn that above all, "talk and tell the truth."
- Family dialogue on feelings about court.
- Meet a judge, bailiff, and prosecutor.
- Trauma-based counseling for individuals and families (men, women, children).
- Child Parent Relationship Therapy: For parents who would like to learn how to support their child through special play sessions at home.
- Sexual Assault Survivor Group: For adult survivors of rape, child sexual abuse, or sexual assault.
- Family Violence Group: For those dealing with violence at home.
- SAFE (Sexually At-Risk Family Enrichment) Group: For parents with sexually acting out children.
- Coping Skills Group: For adult females needing immediate tools they can use to cope.
- Art Therapy Group: For survivors who want to learn how to use art as a tool for healing.